Logo Listing Gallery ()

The Padrón (Certificado de Empadronamiento).

4.7 (1,127) Reviews

Padrón (Certificado de Empadronamiento).

The Empadronamiento, alternatively referred to as the Padrón Municipal de Habitantes, is a type of municipal register or census record, comparable to an electoral roll. To “empadronarse” on the Padrón is to register. By registering with the empadronamiento, a resident of a town is added to the list of local residents.

Anyone intending to remain in Spain for longer than six months each year must register with the Padrón Municipal de Habitantes. Individuals or families may register. To register, one must be ” empadronado.”

The Ayuntamiento (town hall) receives revenue for services such as policing, health centers, cleaning, and maintenance for each person registered in a municipality. The register is used to keep track of how many people (legal or otherwise) reside in a community.

Why you should consider purchasing a Padrón.

By registering on the Padrón Municipal, the registrant establishes their status as an official member of the community and certifies their presence in Spain, which is advantageous in a variety of situations.

Foreigners without valid documentation (expired visa or no passport) must also register; no penalties are imposed, and no legal residency certificates are made available. The Certificado de Empadronamiento is a completely distinct administrative process from the application for residency.

The Certificado de Empadronamiento is used differently in each administrative region. It is required in Madrid, Andalucia, and Valencia (among other places) to carry out a variety of tasks. This is not the case in all regions of Spain.

The Padrón may be necessary in order to accomplish the following:

  1. Purchase or sell a vehicle
  2. Enroll a child in a school
  3. Submit an application for the NIE (Numero de Identification de Extranjeros)
  4. Submit an application for residency (Residencia)
  5. Marry
  6. Cast your vote
  7. Submit an application for a local health insurance card.

The Empadronmiento must be registered in person at the town hall or neighborhood administrative office in the majority of communities (Junta Municipal). Online registration is available in some places.

The following documents are necessary to register a Padron:

  1. A duly filled application (available at the office where registration is being made)
  2. Identification in the form of a passport and a photocopy; if enrolling as a family, identification is required for each member.
  3. Address proof, such as a utility bill, rental agreement, or a copy of the property title deeds (escritura)

If the tenant is not identified on the rental contract, they must also furnish the following:

  1. A completed Autorización de Empadronamiento (available from the town hall), which requires the individual holding the rental agreement to be registered on the Padrón Municipal as well.
  2. A photocopy of the leaseholder’s government-issued identification.

In some places, the local police will confirm the address by paying a visit to the residence.

Normally, on the day of application, a Volante de Empadronamiento is issued. This is a temporary version of the Empadronamiento Certificado that is acceptable for official reasons. Certain localities impose a minor cost for granting the Empadronamiento Volante.

To be regarded a valid proof of address, the Certificado de Empadronamiento must have been granted within the previous three months (and is generally only required for national or foreign bureaucracy). At any time, the Ayuntamiento can issue a current Certificado de Empadronamiento (for example to buy a car or apply for the NIE).

The Empadronamiento is being renewed.

Non-EU nationals without a permanent residence visa must renew their Empadronamiento registration every two years. EU citizens residing in Spain on a permanent basis should renew their registration every five years (as must Spanish nationals who are resident in Spain). Although some regions send renewal reminders, this is not usual; it is the individual’s obligation to renew their registration on time.

Births, deaths, and address changes

A change in status (birth, marriage, relocation) must be reported to the Municipality of Padrón.

  1. When relocating within the same community, the Padrón Municipality must be notified.
  2. If you relocate to a different municipality, you must redo the registration process. The current community should notify the previous community of the change once it is registered.
  3. When leaving Spain, it is necessary to notify the town hall or Junta Municipal in order for the Padrón to be updated.

Book This Tour

Discount up 50%

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet consectetur adipiscing elit dolor

Awesome Capture


What They Say

Please fill the required fields*